Friday, February 13, 2009

Top 10 Pieces of Peace Corps Advice

*I've also posted this to my FaceBook notes and Peace Corps Connect.

I decided to jump on the bandwagon of "25 Random things" and start my own list. This list is intended for Peace Corps volunteers, but is really open to anyone who has served anywhere or has development experience. The main goal is provide useful advice to future and current Volunteers/workers from former or current ones so everyone can have the best possible impact in the developing world and have as positive an experience as possible.

So it's simple: List where and when you served at the top; Llist the Top 5 things you would have done differently; List the Top 5 things you would definitely do again. On Facebook you would tag me and other volunteers but I guess here just use comments.

Here are mine:

Mali 2002-2004 (Peace Corps)

Top 5 Things I would have done differently:

1. While I mastered Bambara (local language) I didn't learn enough French, so I would have made a better effort to learn French. Bambara is great for within Mali but once you travel to neighboring countries you really need French.

2. We put a sheet metal roof on a schoolhouse but did not secure it with cement bricks on top. A windstorm damaged a good part of it. Definitely should have put bricks on top.

3. I planted trees all over the village but did not protect them from the animals. As soon as the hot season came and animals roamed free again a lot of the trees were destroyed.

4. I built a water basin to catch pump runoff to be used for feeding animals as well as water for work (making mud bricks, etc.) but there were 3 problems: too deep making it difficult for animals, no cover so it got dirty fast (mosquito breeding ground), it needed a drain that could be controlled to occasionally wash out the dirty water.

5. I made the mistake of lending/giving people money, and of course that leads to dependency which is not sustainable. So definitely try to avoid that trap, stick with truly sustainable work that involves community contribution and buy in. Even though the other might seem easier in the long term it just leads to more problems.

Top 5 Things I would definitely do again:

1. Focus on projects that relate to your community's needs and not just what sector you're in. This is what I did. Don't feel constrained by your sector/specialty.

2. Learn the language of the people. I mastered Bambara. For me, learning from young kids and youths my age worked better than anything.

3. Integrate with the community. Don't isolate yourself. Open your door, hang out with the locals, help in the work they do, eat the food they eat. I ate, drank, worked and danced with them. They respect you so much more when you do this, plus it makes the time go by much faster.

4. I spent a lot of time at my site (in my community). I know everyone has their unique experience, but for me this is something I would not change (Relates to number 3).

5. Share yourself: educate people about you, about America, about why you are there. This is something I wish I had done much more of, but I would not change the fact that I tried to do as much of this as possible. Remember the 2nd goal of Peace Corps here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Your Comments Here